Eat, Drink and Be Merry With USLI’s Caterers Product
Holiday events and gatherings are on the rise as people yearn for social interaction, a sense of togetherness and a time to celebrate milestones, many of which were put on hold due to the pandemic. This has created an increased need for caterers and bartenders.
Entrepreneur elaborates, “Americans’ love of dining and entertaining has created a tremendous market for off-premises caterers all across the country.” If a host wants to impress their guests but avoid the stress that comes with cooking and serving food and cocktails, hiring a caterer and a private bartender is a swanky, time-saving solution.
Caterers and bartenders have had to adapt how they deliver their services to meet customers’ varying comfort levels regarding social gatherings. Examples include staffed buffet lines to eliminate self-service and individually wrapped hors d’oeuvres. Catersource suggests such changes originated from food safety concerns, but they can also be viewed as “our way of ramping up the luxury” and providing value-added services for event hosts and their guests.
In addition to the increase in demand, the catering industry is growing due to the ease of entry into the industry and low capital requirements. Entrepreneur advises, “From a cost … perspective, catering is probably the most flexible of all the food-service businesses.” Along with attracting new customers and preparing and serving food, caterers also need to protect their businesses and investments by purchasing commercial insurance.
Consider the following claims scenarios:
- A guest at a private holiday party gets sick after eating the food and develops food poisoning, resulting in an $850 visit to the emergency room.
- An insured was catering an event and accidentally spilled a bucket of ice on the floor. Before the ice could be cleaned up, one of the attendees at the party slipped and fell, breaking his hip, resulting in $10,000 in medical expenses.
USLI’s Caterers product provides personalized coverage designed to meet the unique needs of caterers of off-premises events, bartenders and personal chefs. Lines of coverage available include general liability, property, liquor liability and inland marine, and each can be written monoline or as a package. Below, explore product and coverage highlights.
- Ability to consider risks with up to $10 million in revenue
- Blanket additional insured available
- Admitted in most states
- Variety of eligible operations, including off-premises caterers, personal chefs, tap trucks and mobile bartenders
- Rating based on average number of events involving alcohol and average attendees at events
- Limits up to $1 million/$2 million available
- USLI has specialized in liquor liability for over 35 years
- Assault or battery coverage included or offered as a buyback
- Variety of eligible items, including trailers, cooking and serving equipment and bartending equipment
- Eligible values are up to $10,000 per item and $500,000 per policy
Each USLI policyholder is invited to utilize our Business Resource Center, which is a valued-added service that provides centralized access to business-solution vendors. Solutions include:
- Alcohol service training
- Human resources services
- Pre-employment screenings (background checks)
- Safe food service training/certifications
Our Caterers product can be quoted 24/7 online at USLI.com or by calling or emailing your USLI underwriter.
As always, thank you for your support and business.
Contact Maria Garvey
Second Vice President, Team Leader | 888-523-5545, ext. 2283
Contact Joe Gentile
Assistant Vice President, Underwriter – Travel | 888-523-5545, ext. 2489
Written by Elizabeth Shults
December 2, 2021