Be Our Guest: What Hospitality Means at USLI
Hospitality can mean many things. The industry is comprised of four large segments: food and beverage, travel and tourism, lodging, and recreation. At USLI, our Hospitality and Liquor team focuses on the food and beverage sector.
If you have a small to midsize business with a food and/or alcohol exposure, we have a product for you. This area of the hospitality market has experienced a lot of changes over the past year and a half, but we remain a consistent, reliable and flexible market, with over 35 years’ experience behind us.
With doors open and mandates limited, the hospitality market is climbing back to pre-pandemic levels. Our team has remained a dependable liquor market during this time, and we are here to help you with your remarketing efforts and new business accounts.
Our team looks at two main types of businesses: food and alcohol for on-premises consumption and off-premises consumption.
Off-premises Food and Alcohol-related Products:
- Beer, Wine and Liquor Stores
- Liquor stores, convenience stores, gas stations, delicatessens, grocery stores
- Off-premises caterers serving food and alcohol at events
- Bartending Services
- Mobile services including tap trucks and other unique exposures
- Vendors selling alcohol at various off-premises locations
- Special Events
- Broad appetite for events up to 20,000 attendees
On-premises Food and Alcohol-related Products:
- Sports bars, taverns, pubs, nightclubs, adult clubs
- Fast food, fine dining, family restaurants, food courts, buffets
- Banquet Halls
- Private event centers, social clubs and other risks with hall or room rentals for events
- Brew pubs, micro-breweries, distilleries
- Miscellaneous risks
- Beauty salons, barber shops, paint studios
Competitive Advantages of Our Bar and Restaurant Product:
- New ventures are eligible, no business plans or resumes required
- Package or monoline options (property, general liability and liquor liability)
- Up to 100% alcohol sales eligible
- Late closing times: follow state-mandated closing times
- Live entertainment and bouncers eligible
- All construction types, mixed-use buildings, and no building age restriction
- Preferred restaurant pricing is currently live in eight states: AZ, GA, MA, NC, NJ, OH, PA and TX
Our Bar and Restaurant product includes many different classes of business. Eligible operations include fast food, BYOB, nightclubs, breweries, social clubs, fine dining, family restaurants, tabletop cooking and 24-hour diners. In addition, we are seeing and can consider more miscellaneous liquor exposures. These exposures include bowling alleys, beauty salons, barber shops, country clubs, billiard halls, retail stores and banquet facilities.
This is only a small snapshot of our broad product appetite. Every week, we see a new opportunity we can write. The pandemic resulted in creative marketing and business strategies, and our team is knowledgeable about these trends and here to help.
As a reminder, there are many ways USLI adds value to these accounts. Our speed and accessibly make it easy to get a same-day quote. This is more important than ever because restaurant re-openings depend on insurance being in place.
Our Business Resource Center provides many hospitality-related services to our policyholders. These include a human resources and accident hotline, loss control consultations, website-building tools, and food handler training at either a discounted price or completely free.
The liquor market has changed drastically, and our experience writing this business has allowed us to remain a market for these accounts and an educational resource for our customers. Our underwriters have regional focuses, which means a member of our team can be a great asset for questions specific to your area.
As our insureds know, food and drinks bring people together. We are here to make sure they have the right coverage in place so they can focus on providing the best service to their customers.
As always, thank you for your support and business.
Contact Patrick Bethel,
Senior Vice President, Product Team Leader | 888-523-5545 Ext. 2564
Written by Emily Stones
September 2, 2021