Janitors Are Cleaning Up in a Booming Economy
The cleaning industry has been growing consistently since 2009. It is now responsible for employing 3.5 million people in the U.S., according to a 2019 study by Franchise Help, an organization monitoring different sectors within the economy. Much of this growth can be attributed to the residential cleaning sector, due in large part to the healthy economic climate.
With new janitorial operations opening their doors every day, insurance professionals are focused on how to provide the appropriate coverages to help protect and maintain this booming industry. The exposures faced by cleaning organizations are unique based on whether the job is cleaning a residence, a large commercial office or a retail store. A company is at risk of facing losses stemming from bodily injury to others, property damage to the premises, property damage to objects while employees are performing services, employee theft or damage to their janitorial equipment.
USLI recognizes the need for broad protection and offers a solution tailored to janitorial services. The following claims examples highlight the potential exposures mentioned above.
- A janitor was using a wool scrubber on a client’s custom shower door. This action resulted in multiple scratches to the door that could not easily be removed and required the complete replacement of the door.
- A janitor was contracted to perform janitorial services at a supermarket. He was cleaning the floor prior to the store opening for the day. A delivery person walked into the store and slipped on the wet floor, breaking his hip. The janitor was found negligent for not placing a “slippery when wet” caution sign as well as proper warning cones around the area being mopped.
Let USLI ease the minds of the individuals joining this growing industry. We have an appetite for residential, office, mercantile and other commercial cleaning.
Some key product advantages include:
- Operations can employ as many as 20 employees
- Equipment coverage, rental reimbursement and lost key coverage on an inland marine coverage form
- Competitive rates and minimum premiums
- Can consider up to 50% of operations consisting of floor waxing, interior painting, landscaping and window cleaning
- Background check services available through the Business Resource Center
- Free and unlimited access to a third-party human resources consultant for insureds
With quotes available online, over the phone or through your USLI underwriter, it is easy to take advantage of our competitive minimum premiums and ease of doing business when it comes to your janitorial contracting risks.
For more information or a quote, please contact your Commercial Lines underwriter.
As always, thank you for your support and business.
Contact Bill Keast
Underwriter – Travel | 888-523-5545, ext. 2445
Written by Jacob Dawson
September 5, 2019